Client Background: Our partnership with a travel agency, which had relied on a Classic ASP-based software system for over two decades, presented a compelling case for technological advancement. The diminishing use and development of Classic ASP, classified as a legacy technology, posed challenges in finding developers skilled in or interested in this outdated platform. The need for a system overhaul was urgent, further driven by the high costs associated with maintaining and updating software in such an antiquated language.
Project Objectives: The primary objective was to transition the client’s software system from the legacy Classic ASP to a modern technology stack, bringing with it numerous benefits. Our choice was .NET Core with Blazor for the backend administrative application, and React with a .NET Core API for the consumer-facing web application. This modernization was enhanced by the introduction of an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) system for the backend, addressing the limitations of the legacy system where SQL queries were manually constructed and mapped to associative arrays, a process prone to errors and inefficiency.
The transition from a legacy to a modern tech stack offers several benefits:
- Enhanced Performance and Scalability: Modern technologies like .NET Core and React are optimized for performance and can handle larger loads, making the system more responsive and scalable.
- Improved Security: Newer technologies are regularly updated with security patches, reducing vulnerabilities that are often found in older systems.
- Developer Availability and Community Support: Modern tech stacks have a larger pool of developers and community support, making it easier to find skilled personnel and resources for development and troubleshooting.
- Increased Efficiency in Development: Features like ORM in .NET Core simplify database interactions, making development faster and less prone to errors compared to manual query handling.
- Better User Experience: Technologies like React enable the creation of dynamic, user-friendly interfaces, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Long-Term Cost Savings: While the initial transition may require investment, the long-term maintenance and development costs are significantly reduced due to the efficiency and scalability of modern technologies.
- Future-Proofing the System: Adopting a modern tech stack ensures that the software remains relevant and adaptable to future technological advancements and trends.
Solution Approach: Aware of the complexities and risks involved in legacy system rewrites, we proposed an iterative development approach. This strategy allowed for gradual feature migration and early adoption, enabling the client to familiarize themselves with the new system progressively. It also provided opportunities to prioritize essential features and make incremental adjustments, avoiding the pitfalls of extensive downtime and functionality gaps often seen in traditional overhauls.
- .NET Core with Blazor: Utilized for the backend administrative application, ensuring a seamless and efficient transition from the legacy system.
- React with .NET Core API: Chosen for the consumer-facing web application to enhance interactivity and user experience.
- Iterative Development: Implemented to ensure continuous delivery and adaptation, allowing for regular client feedback and system refinement.
Challenges and Solutions:
- Complex Legacy System: The existing system was a culmination of decades of development, necessitating a careful and strategic rewrite.
- Iterative Approach: Although it required parallel use of both systems during the transition, this approach minimized disruption and maximized adaptability and client input.
- Leadership Convincing: Persuading leadership on the iterative approach’s merits, emphasizing long-term benefits over immediate, but potentially flawed, system replacement.
Current Progress and Future Plans:
- Back-Admin Office Usage: The client is actively using the new back-admin office application, with continuous additions of modules and functionality.
- Phased Implementation: Focused initially on the back-end system due to resource limitations and stakeholder availability. The client-facing rewrite is planned for subsequent phases.
Conclusion: This ongoing project exemplifies a thoughtful and client-centric approach to modernizing legacy systems. By choosing an iterative development strategy and leveraging modern technologies, we are not only facilitating a smooth transition from Classic ASP to .NET and React but also setting a foundation for continuous improvement and future scalability.